Trevor & Dewey's RV-7 Construction Log
 
 

Wings - Fuel Tanks

Back to Log Index

Date: 2/11/2010
Time:
3.0
Task: Made new parts for left tank, cut stiffeners

After looking at the plans again today, I realized I screwed up fabricating the 2 T-710's on the left tank. I'd made them to fit on the inside of the rib flanges rather than on the inside of the tank. I don't know what I was thinking. The whole idea is for the T-710 and T-705 to sandwhich the innermost tank rib for reinforcement. I used the other 2 T-710's for the right tank and will run to Van's today to get 2 more. I also need to buy one more T-712 z-bracket. The centerhole I drilled in the first bracket was slightly too close to the flange.




I finally got to cutting the T-711 stiffeners today. There are 10 for each tank. They strengthen the bottom of the tank to support 21 gallons of fuel.





After cutting and sanding.




Then I moved on to assembling the right fuel tank. I removed the blue plastic from the inside and placed it in the leading edge/fuel tank cradle.




After flutting and straightening all the ribs, I clecod them to the right skin. I then clecod the rear baffling in place.