Trevor & Dewey's RV-7 Construction Log
 
 

Fuselage - Main

Back to Log Index

Date: 03/09/2011
Time:
2.0
Task: Forward deck and roll bar work


We finally got a new band saw blade installed so I was able to cut a whole bunch of parts for the canopy roll bar tonight. I was also able to cut the replacement left control column mount.

 

Here is the left control column mount after cutting the relief out. I still have to smooth the corners with my ScotchBright wheel.

Next I cut all of the angles called out for the canopy roll bar. There were several large ones with odd angles.

Next I found a piece of 2ft x 4ft x 1/2" sanded plywood and a piece of wafferboard of the same size. I screwed them together to make a pretty rigid 1" flat surface to build the roll bar on.



I found a large piece of aluminum angle and clamped it to the bottom of the wood platform. I also got a piece of 2" thick oak to use as blocks to mark the position of the frame. I'm planning to use SikaFlex to adhere the plexi canopy to the frame so I still need to research the dimensions needed for the frame.



Next I worked on the forward deck top skin. It has been a real bear! I have had a lot of trouble getting it to fit correctly down where it attaches to the side skin and logerons.



Here is the right side. The rear clecos are pretty much in place, but the front #30 clecos are at an angle. I can't seem to get the skin to pull down properly.

Here the left side with the same situation. The rear clecos are in properly but the forward clecos are at an angle. I've talked to Joe Blank at Van's and he may come by to lend a hand. I could sure use it, I've been struggling with this skin.

 
q