Trevor & Dewey's RV-7 Construction Log
 
 

Empennage - Rudder

Back to Log Index

Date: 9/23/2009
Time:
1.5
Task: Drilled out two skin to stiffener rivets that were sitting proud and inserted MK-319-BS pulled rivets. Riveted the trailing edge and installed the rod end bearings.

Here are the two holes after the rivets were drilled out. I was very nervous that I wouldn't be able to get the rivets out correctly or that the hole would get elongated. The AN3's came right out though.

The two holes with MK-319 pulled rivets in place. They fit right in the same dimple and nobody will ever know after the center holes are filled before painting.


I first removed all the clecos and the aluminum angle from the trailing edge after letting the ProSeal cure for about 4 days. Notice the 60" long x 3/8" wide piece of steel, I picked that up at a local steel fab. It was worth every penny of the $43 I paid for it.





I then removed the blue plastic from both sides of the trailing edge.




Here is the trailing edge with all the rivets in place ready to be taped down.


I numbered each hole 1-5, began by setting every other #1 and then alternately set #3, #5, #2, #4, alternating which end I started at. The idea here was to prevent the edge from hooking in one direction.


I then flipped the rudder over and used a mushroom set on the manufactured side. I used the same technique and order of riveting to keep pressure equal.



Here is my very expensive rod end bearing insertion/removal tool. The plans can be found here.


The completed rudder!


Now its starting to look like an airplane!