Trevor & Dewey's RV-7 Construction Log
 
 

Empennage - Rudder

Back to Log Index

Date: 9/15/2009
Time:
5.0
Task: Riveted the skeleton together, back-riveted the stiffeners to the skins, and primed the trailing edge wedge.


I started by riveting the R-608PP reinforcement plate to the R-902 spar.
The K1000-6 nutplate was then riveted in place.


Next was the same task for R-607PP




The R-904 bottom rib was then riveted to the R-710 brace to the R-917 shim to the R-902 spar to the R-606PP reinforcement plate. The K1000-6 nutplate was also riveted on the back of the reinforcement plate..
Lots of overlapping pieces here! The R-710 brace was then clecod into place.




Here is a view of the R-606PP reinforcement plate with all the rivets that go through 5 parts.


I then deviated from the instructions and set the 3 rivets that attach the R-710 brace to the R-904 rib. By doing this I avoided using blind rivets after the skins were riveted into place.


Next the R-912 counterbalance rib was riveted to the R-902 spar. The counterbalance skin was then clecod and riveted into place. My 3" yoke on my hand squeezer would not reach so I decided to drive the rivets. It worked well and was very fast. I'm now to the point where I would rather drive a rivet than squeeze it (assuming its 1/8").




The lead counter balance took some shaping to fit around the rivets. I torqued the screws to 23 in. lbs.




Finally tried my first attempt at back-riveting. I can't believe how it is! I used Avery rivet tape, taped all the rivets in place, flipped the skin on the back-rivet plate, and set all the rivets. You really can't mess it it up.


Here is the right skin after all the stiffeners have been back-riveted on.



I talked my dad into coming over before heading home to give back-riveting a try. He doesn't know it yet but I'm going to make him do the whole right elevator. Better practice!


The left rudder skin nearly complete




The left skin is finished!




I clecod the right skin to the skeleton. It's starting to look like a rudder!




I then clecod the left skin to the skeleton. Now its a rudder!