Trevor & Dewey's RV-7 Construction Log
 
 

Empennage - Left Elevator

Back to Log Index

Date: 10/07/2009
Time:
5.0
Task: Trimmed HS and riveted the leading edg
e

Today we received our order of fiberglass supplies. We went with the West Systems epoxy, cotton fiber, glass bubbles, and glass cloth.


I started today by trimming the sides of the horizontal stab to accommodate the counterweights on the elevators. Apparently one of the other Van's kits uses shorted counterweights.


Here is the result. I filed and sanded, but didn't go all the way up to the line. I wanted to leave some buffer so I can draw the final trim line once the elevators are installed.

\


Here the right elevator now has free range of motion. Notice the clamp on the far side holding the elevator level.



I also removed the #10 screws I had temporarily used to hold the elevators in place. I replaced them with the AN3 bolts called for in the plans. First I had to enlarge the holes in the hinge brackets to #12.



I then took my new drill bushing to the drill press and sanded it to size.



Final task of the day was to roll the leading edges of the left elevator and rivet.



In the process I managed to break a set of channel-locks. Apparently they are not made to carry a side load.


The completed leading edge!