Trevor & Dewey's RV-7 Construction Log
 
 

Empennage - Left Elevator

Back to Log Index

Date: 10/5/2009
Time:
2.0
Task: Finished the trim tab

I started by clamping the trim servo assembly to the cover plate. I used 2 cleco clamps on either side and drilled #40. I then removed the servo from the brackets and final drilled #30. I later realized I had read the plans incorrectly. The three rivets that attach the brackets to the cover plate are AN426 rather than AN470. I used NAS Opps rivets in their place. They worked fine.




I then trial fit the clevis pins and cut the rod to length. I hooked up a 9V battery and checked for free motion. I noticed the rod gets very close and even rubs the top edge of the slot in the elevator. This was due to the shims I made to raise the servo off the cover plate.I decided to over-squeeze the aft two rivets so the servo could sit on the brackets without the shims. This worked out well and eliminated the rubbing.





Next I set the rivets in the elevator half of the hinge.


I marked a center-line on the elevator tab and two lines at 1" and 3 1/4" from the inboard edge. There are 3 lines marked in the picture below but I changed it to 2.


Then I centerpunched the marks, drilled #40 and rreamed #30.

\


I then set the two MSP-41 rivets.



After A LOT of work, the trim tab is finally complete. I'm not completely happy with how it turned out, but it works, is safe, and the unsuspecting person will never know the difference. This may be something I decide to build again later on.