Trevor & Dewey's RV-7 Construction Log
 
 

Empennage - Left Elevator

Back to Log Index

Date: 10/4/2009
Time:
2.0
Task: Continued work on the trim tab. It's a real beast!

I started by clecoing the hinge to the trim tab, then marking the top hinge 3/8" in from the outboard edge so it could be lined up with the holes in the elevator. I used a cleco clamp on the inboard edge to hold the hinge in place. I then used a long straight piece of aluminum angle to position the trim tab trailing edge even with the elevators trailing edge. After quite a bit of checking and rechecking, I drilled three holes through the elevator skin, trim spar (E-606PP) and into the hinge. I put clecos in the holes, removed the cleco clamp from the inboard edge, and rechecked trailing edge alignment. Everything stayed put from the drilling.



Here is the trim tab with all the holes drilled through the forward half of the hinge.


A close-up of the inboard edge.


I then set the rivets along the forward top edge of the trim tab.


Last was drilling the three inboard rivet holes to #30, countersinking, and setting CS4-4 pulled rivets.

I then moved on to the trim servo cover plate. I marked inboard from the upper edge 3/8" and over from the left side 1-1/4". The other line is 1/8" to the right of the first line. You'll see why below.


Notice the servo control arm is not centered using the lines marked per the plans.


Here is the servo aligned with the second line I drew 1/8" to the right of the line the plans call for. This looks much better. I'm going to mount the trim tab and hook up the control rob before drilling these holes for the servo.